Subscribe to

Understanding Kitchen Design Terminology

The kitchen truly is the heart of the home, so when you are looking to upgrade your kitchen, it is essential to understand kitchen design terminology. It can be confusing when you are unsure exactly what the different types of kitchen styles are or what the different elements of the kitchens are. Ensuring you understand kitchen terminology definitions will help you communicate with your kitchen designer precisely what you want in your new kitchen. Our kitchen glossary includes a wide range of commonly used kitchen design terminology for you to wrap your head around.

Kitchen Glossary

Firstly, we need to understand the different types of kitchen styles:

Country Kitchen– Also known as ‘farmhouse’ kitchens. This style of kitchen is, as the name suggests, the kitchen style you would expect to find in a cosy country cottage. With an endearing rustic wood charm and mismatch of different finishes to help create a lived-in feeling.

Traditional Kitchen– A traditional style kitchen combines classic design features with modern technology to create a comforting and inviting aesthetic. Typically, using panelled or glass cupboard doors with porcelain tile floors and gleaming marble countertops.

Modern Kitchen– The principles of a modern kitchen are based upon sleek aesthetics and maximum functionality. By using design touches such as integrated lighting with practical elements like slide-and-hide ovens, your modern kitchen will not only look beautiful but be easy to live with.

Minimalistic Kitchen– A minimalist kitchen aims to focus on the absence of elements and the presence of clean space. A minimalist look is achieved through using simple materials with monochromatic colours and a straightforward design ensuring the absence of unnecessary details. Germany leads the way with the handle-less design; the ultimate minimalist kitchen look.

Kitchen Terminology Definitions:

Built-in Appliances– As the name suggests, built-in appliances are appliances that are built into the kitchen furniture and can be concealed by a cabinet door in keeping with the rest of the kitchen.

Ceramic Hob– Ceramic hobs use radiant heat from underneath the glass of the hob. The ceramic hob, unlike an induction hob, does get hot.

Chimney Hood– A chimney hood is a fitted feature with a built-in extractor motor above the hob or cooker.

Concealed Hinge– A concealed hinge is simply a hinge that attaches the door to the cabinet on the inside, so it is not visible from the front of the cabinet.

Cornice– A cornice is a ‘trim’ placed at the top of wall units and tall units for decorative purposes. Typically, it is most common in traditional and shaker kitchens.

Double Oven– A double oven has two cooking cavities controlled by one control panel and typically built into a tall housing.

Dual Zone– A dual-zone allows a variety in heating requirements on a hob. Typically there is an inner and outer zone within the main ring to allow for energy to be saved when cooking with smaller rings.

Fan Oven– A fan oven circulates warm air around the oven; this reduces cooking time, and food is cooked evenly.

Induction Hob– This type of hob uses an electromagnetic coil situated below the ceramic cooking surface. It works by directly transferring heat to the pot or pan, so the hob itself doesn’t get hot.

Inset Sinks– An inset sink is mounted directly into a hole in the worktop so the rim of the sink overlaps with the worktop and supports its weight.

Kitchen Work Triangle– The kitchen work triangle is a series of guidelines kitchen designers follow; the three key aspects of this work triangle are the distance between the oven, the sink and the fridge. Keeping these in close proximity of each other allows for an efficient kitchen layout design.

Multifunction Oven– A multifunction oven gives you the option of a fan or conventional cooking as well as grilling, steaming or microwaving thereby offering you more versatile cooking options.

Overmounted Sinks– Also known as a sit-on sink, these sinks are positioned directly on top of base units replacing the worktop that would have otherwise been in that space.

Pelmet– A pelmet is a ‘trim’ placed at the bottom of your wall units similar to a cornice. Pelmets are a great way to hide any downlight fixing attached to the bottom wall units.

Peninsula– A peninsula is a connected kitchen island. Having a peninsula creates a U-shaped kitchen and is a great way to divide the kitchen from a living/dining room.

Plinth– Plinths are long pieces of panelling placed at the bottom of units to cover up adjustable legs.

Pull Out Tap– This refers to a kitchen tap with a dual purpose spray tap. The spray head can be used as a fixed water source or can be pulled out from the receptor and used to spray down the corners of the sink.

Shaker Doors– A shaker door is composed of five pieces of wood. Four for the square frame and one for the flat centre panel.

Splash-backs– A splash-back is a separate plate of a sheet of metal, a pane of glass or a large tile that sits behind the hob to protect the wall from grease stains.

Undermount Sink– This is a rimless sink that sits below the countertops.

The list of kitchen design terminology is endless so if you come across anymore terms you are unsure about, get in touch! One of our kitchen designers will be more than happy to explain any kitchen terms to you.